Highlights and insights:
“ESG investing has rapidly become mainstream with investors increasingly weighing ESG criteria in their asset allocation. However, the ESG data and data management landscape is diverse and complex and firms face various challenges in integrating ESG information in reporting and decision-making.
Alveo recently surveyed 300 buy-side firms in APAC, the UK and the US about their ESG data management challenges and priorities.
Key findings include:
- Improving ESG Data Management is a top priority as firms address ESG data challenges; required to overcome data availability, comparability, usability and workflow integration
- Firms rank screening organisations as a top driver for using ESG data but different regional priorities emerge
- Regulation important but now ranking behind new product development, asset allocation and client reporting
- Lack of corporate disclosures forces asset managers to cast a wide net for ESG data; firms use an average of close to ten ESG sources today
- Data-as-a-Service preferred as service delivery model”